Options

Menopause and weight loss

Nicole PorterNicole Porter Member Rank ✭6✭
edited November 2019 in Exercise

While I'm still a decade out from this, I know it's a hot topic around the gym - the effects of menopause on weight, energy, etc. What can we do as women to make sure we're in a good place going into this "life change", what to expect as horomones wreak havoc, and once you're out the other side, what's next in fitness and weight loss?

Comments

• Options
    Heather  QuinlanHeather Quinlan Member, Inward Journey Meditation Group Member Rank ✭7✭

Although I am not premenopausal (yet... some days I wonder lol), as a woman, I greatly appreciate that this topic is here. It is most certainly relevant to all women and their health, both physical and mental. There is so much going on within our bodies that challenges the simplicity of "calories in vs. calories out". And although there is science to support that theory, it's also so much more!... which, as women, we tend to forget given the messages surrounding us daily. Thank you, @Nicole Porter , for brining up this topic and @Sawyer Paull-Baird for continuing the conversation with great resources!

• Options
    Theresa CvetanovskiTheresa Cvetanovski Member Rank ✭3✭

Thanks for the resources Sawyer! This is something I will need to come back to read!

Theresa

• Options
    Terry PriestleyTerry Priestley Member Rank ✭4✭

Thanks to Sawyer and Mike for their knowledge and input on this topic. I am wondering if a woman’s bodily response to natural menopause would be the same as if she went into surgical menopause due to a hysterectomy with both ovaries removed. I realize we have other sources of hormone production namely your Thyroid. Just wondering since many women have had hysterectomies for various reasons. Thoughts, anyone?

• Options
    Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Hey Terry, that's a great question! To answer it simply, the answer is yes, there would be no difference in physiological responses based on chronological menopause or surgical menopause given there aren't any other confounding health issues that exist. If there are that can certainly effect things, but just on the level of menopause the mechanism is the same, so the outcome would be the same.

Michael E. Stack, BS CFP CSCS*D CPS
    AGENT OF CHANGE, CEO, & Exercise Physiologist