Options

Tin man remediation! (aka, a discussion on recovery)

Beth ManoogianBeth Manoogian Member Rank ✭7✭
edited November 2019 in Exercise

I thought it might be worthwhile to have a discussion about post-workout recovery and injury prevention. Currently, I warm up before, then stretch and/or foam roll after every workout. If I have time/am not too exhausted, I also try to stretch a little at the end of the day before I go to bed. I have a job that requires me to stand all day 2-3 days per week and I try to take stretch breaks if I can there. I try to take a recovery bath once a week if I have time, and work in a massage if I can during my vacations from work. Despite all of this, I often spend most of my day walking around like the Tin Man (see below for actual footage of me in the morning).

I've recently been bombarded by ads on facebook for things like the sidekick tool (https://sidekicktool.com/) and the Theragun (https://www.theragun.com/us/en-us/home) and am wondering whether these are worth the investment, especially with Black Friday deals upon us. What, if any, is the science behind these and does anyone here have any experience with them? Are they a waste of money or will they make me feel like I'm 20 again?!

Comments

• Options
    Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Beth Manoogian, the research is very mixed on all of these devices and modalities. If you look into the research for anything "injury prevention" in nature you'll find most of it is pretty inconclusive (same with anything touting significant recovery benefits). This is largely do to the fact that injuries (and recovery) are very multi-factorial in nature (basically it's hard to determine what causes an injury). Even stretching has never been conclusively linked to preventing injuries (even though it probably does on some level, it's just not been demonstrated consistently to do so in any controlled interventions).

With that said, where does this leave you with stretching, foam rolling, and any of these other devices that might be useful in preventing injuries and recovering? I think the general consensus in the literature, and practically, is as follows:

(1) Dynamic stretching (pre-exercise to warm-up) is effective at preparing the body for exercise, it should be done consistently.

(2) Static stretching (post-exercise) is great when it's done in a targeted fashion to stretch areas of specific/chronic restriction (hip flexors, pecs, internal rotator cuff, etc.). Stretching the entire body, just for the sake stretching the entire body probably doesn't make sense.

(3) Foam rolling can provide some benefit as well (both pre-exercise to warm-up tissue and post-exercise to mobilize restricted areas), it should be used, but it has it's limitations. Based on the research I've read I would not spend a significant amount of time foam rolling before or after exercise. I would hit target areas that you feel you need some additional mobilization in. Spending 15-30min on a foam roller pre/post-exercise is likely not the best use of anyone's time based on our understanding of what foam rolling actually does at the tissue level.

(4) The devices you've mentioned (such as the ther-a-gun or the side kick) do probably provide some benefit, but mechanistically (at the tissue level) if you look at what they're doing, it's not that much different then stretching or foam rolling. With that said, I don't think they'll confer any more benefit then stretching or rolling, but they could provide the same benefit. I think the adage applies here that if it won't hurt you, it might help you, and you're willing to spend the money, go for it and see what happens. Don't expect any significant improvement in mobility, performance, or recovery from these items in and of themselves. I realize that's not the most definite scientific answer, but it's where the research is at right now on these devices. Any claims of their superiority relative to other modalities are just marketing claims by the manufactures of these devices and NOT based on any consensus in the scientific literature (or anything I've ever seen practically as well).

Michael E. Stack, BS CFP CSCS*D CPS
    AGENT OF CHANGE, CEO, & Exercise Physiologist

• Options

@Mike Stack thanks for the response! I am already doing the things you mentioned....my foam roller frequently tries to kill me but I do find it effective for my quads and IT bands (I know the jury is out on whether this is actually helpful for IT bands but my PT wanted me to do it) and so that's usually what I use it for. I have other things like the pro-tec orb for glutes (much-needed after the Saturday FSx squat-fest this week), hammies, and hip flexors, and a lacrosse ball for shoulder stuff, and work those in when I feel I need them. Figured it was at least worth asking about the other things - thanks for the info!

• Options
    Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

You're welcomed @Beth Manoogian, if you end up getting any new "toys" for mobility or recovery, feel free to share a review on the forum, we'd love to know what you think. As I said, the best way to determine how some of these things work is to try them and see what happens. We'd love your feedback on anything you pick up during your holiday "fitness" shopping.

• Options

Thanks for adding that @Shaina Tinsey! Sounds like an interesting book and worthwhile checking out. I will also add that the placebo effect is very really sometimes (especially with athletes). If you think it will help you, it probably will help you. So that is something to consider as well. I hope everyone finds this information helpful.

• Options
    Robert KochanRobert Kochan Member Rank ✭2✭

So I see this discussion is focused on physical things to do. How about nutritional for recovery? Water, Gatorade, protein shakes or drinks, fruits or vegetables, nuts, peanut butter? Thanks.

• Options

@Robert Kochan, great point, nutrition can play a huge role in recovery. We have a knowledge base video on just this specific topic, here is the hyperlink to it: What Should I Eat Before and After Exercising?

I can tell you there is much better research around nutrition for recovery, so this can be a very effective area to improve your recovery (and therefore your ability to train hard more often). Go ahead and watch the video and let us know if you have any thoughts or questions.

• Options
    Angela JohnsonAngela Johnson Member Rank ✭6✭

@Mike Stack Just jumping in to say that I 100% have found that positive nutrition improves recovery and therefore ability to train hard more often. My strength increases substantially when I'm mindful versus say, oh, when my intake has consisted of 2 small hot chocolates and a bagel #help. Nutrition is my forever plight.

Happy Wednesday,

Angela Johnson

• Options

I am already doing what I can nutritionally to help with recovery. Sometimes my job prevents me from being able to eat but I do what I can when I can. But I definitely don’t skimp on the protein post-exercise and make sure to get carbs too. (I have already watched the video above). @Shaina Tinsey thanks for the book recommendation, I will have to check this out! Again, work doesn’t leave me with a ton of time for self-care but I can tell you that I am absolutely doing my best with this so I don’t know that anything will necessarily get me to stop and take more time for myself. After FSX at 6am yesterday then working for 15 hours straight, I did at least take a few min to stretch my stupid hip flexors before bed!