Getting Back into Your Workout Routine

Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin
edited September 2020 in Exercise

Alright Fit Fam, gyms in Michigan are opened again (finally) and we're all getting back into our workout routines. Certainly a number of us have fallen "out of shape" over the course of the past six months without the structure, accountability and comradely of the gym. If you haven't, good for you but you're probably in the minority.

Now the real challenge begins, re-establishing those old exercise routines and habits, but doing so in a way that is slow and progressive so as not to result in injury or extreme soreness. With that said, below is a good article I've found on getting back into workouts appropriately after a longer layoff. Being conscious of intensity, volume, and frequency of exercise will ensure you limit the risk of injury and maximize habit formation to regain your pre-COVID level of fitness. In general the theme is start slow and progress. You mind might remember what your body used to do, but your body needs to catch up and get reconditioned. Check out this article for more information:

Also, let's start a discussion on your concerns and questions about getting back into your fitness routines. Please ask those questions below and allow myself, and the rest of the AFS fitness practitioner team, assist you into restoring your fitness and health right back to where it was (or better than) when this whole crazy thing started!! Remember a journey of a 1000 miles starts with one small step. Let's take that step together!

Michael E. Stack, BS CFP CSCS*D CPS
AGENT OF CHANGE, CEO, & Exercise Physiologist

Comments

• Peter SchultzPeter Schultz Member Rank ✭5✭

I actually have a question about safely getting back into exercise post-Covid...but by that I mean, post having Covid. I tested positive a couple weeks ago, and while I feel like I've fully recovered from any symptoms I had, I want to make sure I'm getting back into my normal fitness routine safely. I've already started getting back into the swing of things...I started out with going for walks around the neighborhood, riding the stationary bike, and some low-intensity circuits, and I've been ramping up since then (I've now started doing my Volt workouts and some of the 1-hour circuits). I've been trying to listen to my body and make sure I'm not overdoing it, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I (or anyone else) should be mindful of as I recover.

• Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Peter Schultz first off, I'm glad you're feeling better - that's great news!! In terms of returning to exercise after COVID, currently the data is minimal right now (like everything right now with COVID). We do know there are some people who really struggle residually and other people don't. It seems to be somewhat consistent with symptomology related to the virus in general.

With that said, based on everything I've read if your case of the virus was less severe you probably don't have as much to worry about. Regardless, when you're progressing back I would just listen to your body very carefully (as you are it sounds like). If you notice you're symptomatic on any level (especially pulmonary) I would scale things back quickly and then reassess.

Overall it sounds like you're being smart about it and scaling things when needed, as long as you keep doing that I think you'll be fine. Making sure you're getting a little extra sleep and making sure your nutrition is solid will certainly expedite recovery as always.

Good luck getting back into things and I'm glad you're doing better!

• Erin McLaughlinErin McLaughlin Member Rank ✭3✭

I’m thankful to be back in the facility with equipment to get my strength and “wind” back. Cycling has been a great addition to my cardio needs! My ongoing challenge is being in my house (read: kitchen) 97% of my day. I need to work on being more in touch with when my body craves/needs food as opposed to eating it because it’s there or I’m feeling stir crazy and eating is something to do. I also want to tune back into finding yummy nutritious meals because I feel like I’m on autopilot at the grocery store buying the same things over and over - which leads to food boredom and thus desiring carry out instead!

• Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

That's great insight @Erin McLaughlin! Tell me, what are you doing to be more in touch with what your body needs/cravings? I'm always curious how different people handle that very challenging area of nutrition.

• Bailey Paull-BairdBailey Paull-Baird Member, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Its been awesome getting back into the gym with you wonderful clients! Everyone has been so pleasant and have had awesome attitudes towards the changes, and have really just been a pleasure to around. Thank you everyone who has been back and I can't wait to continue to see more of you =)

• Lori WiltenburgLori Wiltenburg Member, Foundations Course Member Rank ✭3✭

How do you determine if a workout is too much for your body? I struggle with this, as I do get sore after some workouts, but feel that it is just part of the effects of working those muscles. I do not want to injure myself but do want to maximize my workout. Is there an objective measure to say when the "soreness" is too much and to lighten the load at that point? Are there some kind of signs that can help one judge when an exercise is just too much for you and will cause an injury? In other words, a way to tell if you are slacking (a mental thing) or it is truly a strain the body just can't take?

@Lori Wiltenburg that is a great question. I would suggest two ways to determine it. First off, if you notice that you're experiencing any acute pain anywhere that is certainly a sign that you've over done it (at least on that area of the body). If you find this is the case you may want to scale back your intensity to a level that is below the pain threshold. Secondly, if you notice you're experiencing significant fatigue or soreness after a work to the point where it impairs your ability to perform your normal activities that would be a sign you've over done it. I'm not concerned with soreness that doesn't impair normal activities, nor I am a concerned with being a little tired after a workout - those are normal. In general, I think for most people that as long as you're not experiencing pain or extreme soreness or fatigue post-exercise (and in the day that follows) you should be fine. Taken a step further, good ways to ensure you don't get this point are: (1) good nutrition (having a serving or whey protein post-exercise can help to speed up recovery and reduce soreness), (2) getting adequate sleep (trying for at least 7 hours/night), and (3) taking a day off in between workouts. If you monitor the pain, soreness, and fatigue mentioned above as well implement those three strategies just mentioned you should limit your risk of over training. Let me know if this help!

• Nicole PorterNicole Porter Member Rank ✭6✭

@Peter Schultz - I faced the same issues. I was sick in February before we could get tested and they were concentrating on the cough/temp/breathing symptoms (the ER thought I was having a heart attack/stroke; I lost my sense of taste/smell, had a ranging headache, exhaustion and stomach issues). I went back to my normal routine (2 -3 workouts a day) about a week after and felt okay. I had a relapse in March and was completely wiped for a few days, and had breathing issues in July that have been controlled by asthma meds (I'm hoping that was just miserable allergies!). I've been on the mend since then, but I still feel like my energy isn't always at 100% of what it was. It might be residual effects, it might be that I have to accept I'm 40+, it might just be the lowkey bummed feeling we're all fighting. The best advice I can give is make sure you rest. Don't go balls to the wall right off the bat. I've been better about taking a rest day 1x a week, which I really didn't do in the five years prior (the AFS A2 staff can tell you I basically lived there). And document everything. I wish I would have been better about that.

Unrelated to my first post, my issue is time. Working for a global company, and being remote, my schedule has gone sideways. My meetings have moved an hour or more earlier, and later, and more of them I'm expected to be on. In the before times, I had a schedule that was based around my work - I knew I would be at AFS, M-F between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m., showed there and head to work; and I'd be at Delirium to ride or instruct between 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p. m. - one trip from and to home all day, rather than multiple. I've been able to commit to FSx classes Sa/Su, and the weightroom Friday a.m. But beyond that, I'm trying to see how rework being there when I'm WFH and have 8 a.m. global conference calls and am teaching spin remotely 4x a week. It's on me to sort it out, but that's where I'm at.

And a second unrelated item - I've been sticking to my Volt workouts at home 2x a week pretty solidly for the last six months. I know the app and the work the trainers put in to build our workouts have to cost $ - is there a suggested donation we can make to help offset it?

@Nicole Porter thanks for insight!! Glad you're feeling better. You are certainly a great example of making exercise a priority and fitting it in!!

@Nicole Porter thank you for chiming in! The biggest worry I have so far is distinguishing between "lingering effects" and "legit problems". I plan on running tomorrow for the first time since I tested positive on Labor Day. If (/when) I struggle, will it be because my lungs have been seriously compromised by the virus, or will it just be a case of needing to get my conditioning back after not doing any cardio for 3+ weeks? I've been alternating weightlifting and virtual BW circuits every day for the last couple weeks, and that's been going ok. I've had a couple of times that I've felt some tightness in the chest later in the evenings, but that could totally be an anxiety/hypochondria response too.

When you recommend that I "document everything," what are you referring to?

@Peter Schultz if it makes you feel any better, to my knowledge, there isn't any evidence that suggests you can cause any further lung damage/issues by resuming a moderate intensity exercise program. In fact, I would think doing so would be therapeutic. If you weight/circuit is not presenting a problem (and those activities produce high CO2 and significant acute increases in ventilation) running at a moderate intensity should be fine. You may want to start at 60-70% of you max heart rate (220-age) * 0.60-0.70 and see how you feel. You can slow increase intensity from there. Additionally, another option is to remain below a threshold heart rate that limits any significant lung distress (although I think a little discomfort is fine). If you want to be very precise, heart rate is probably the way to go to track training intensity. Find a heart rate that is comfortable and slowly progress the duration of the activity for several weeks (30min to 35min to 40min, etc.) until you reach 60min and then you can consider increasing the intensity/speed.

Great tips, as always @Mike Stack !

@Peter Schultz meaning, when you have symptoms, be sure to document the date/time, what they are and if there was a trigger. This will help if you need to see a doctor for anything major (easier than trying to recount things on the spot, I learned), but also, if you have costs related to the illness, it's great for fighting with BCBS or your carrier.

You can always request a lung capacity test (spirometry) from your doctor. My ENT wanted one done and my allergist/immunologist was able to administer it. That will be a good gauge of if there is damage (I had none, thankfully).