Options

You're doing okay, I promise :)

Corinne AlbrechtCorinne Albrecht Member, AFS Staff Rank ✭8✭

At the grocery store recently I overheard someone saying that this was the week that the "quitters show themselves," in reference to his gym and there "finally" being space for the people who "actually care." There's a lot to unpack there, obviously, but thankfully I don't feel like I need to unpack it for any of us :) I feel so much peace day in and out knowing that the gym environment in which I work doesn't roll their eyes at the people brave enough to start something new, that there's comfort in the spaces where struggles show their faces, that no matter the time away we love and appreciate each other. 

The first two weeks back to the ol' grind after the holiday lull is an understandably difficult time for our self-care to maintain its space, so I just wanted to take a moment and encourage you to find that peace of failure within yourself for the rest of the month. If you started a new workout routine, added another facet to your already existing routine, bought a bunch of veggies that are now starting to wrinkle: it's okay that it's not going as planned or hoped :) You just started! There was bound to be a hiccup, a snag, a wrench in the equation. You cannot fault yourself for being zealous! Give yourself the wiggle room that you deserve: let yourself fail, stay committed to learning from it, and sooner or later you'll be in a new routine without even realizing it. Maybe it's a different FS class than your usual, maybe it's a new instructor in SS that you're unsure about, maybe it's your first yoga class--whatever it is, novelty wears away, familiarity grows, and soon it'll all be normal again.

No matter what you hear in other environments, people are not talking here. We are not judging you if it's been some time. We love you, miss you, and understand all the crazy silly things that make us human. 2020 still is and will always be just for you. 🌿💖

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Tricia NaultTricia Nault Member, AFS Staff Rank ✭7✭

I LOVE this! Thank you so much for saying this.

I know I was once one of the people starting to exercise, starting to get on the fitness bandwagon, and feeling intimidated by all the people that have already been coming and have everything seemingly all together. But it's so true! Here at AFS it's different. If you are starting new this year, we are happy you are here! We are here to help you be your most healthy self.

And I completely understand feeling like half the battle is just getting here in the door. That's a major hurdle sometimes; it was for me when I first started coming. But in this journey you will learn that it's not all or nothing. Missteps will be taken, lessons will be learned, and it doesn't mean starting over. It's just moving forward, getting past the pitstops, and moving forward some more.

Thanks @Corinne Albrecht :)

• Options
    Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

100% echo and appreciate everything you aid @Corinne Albrecht . Nothing to add. You nailed it =).

Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator
  • Options
    Bailey Paull-BairdBailey Paull-Baird Member, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Corinne Albrecht Such a great post! I love and relate to everything you said! Thanks for sharing =)