Week 4- Signature Strengths

AFS EducationAFS Education Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner admin

Happy Monday everyone and welcome to week 4 (of 7) in the No Cave November Challenge.

In this week's video we are exploring the idea of signature strengths. These strengths are the positive characteristics that are most important to your own personal identity. According to the Via Character Institute signature strengths are characterized by three "Es"

• Essential: the strength feels essential to who you are as a person.
  • Effortless: when you enact the strength you feel natural and effortless.
  • Energizing: using the strength uplifts you and leaves you feeling happy, in balance and ready to take on more.

This week we ask you to reflect on your own signature strengths, identify them, and then use them as tools for success for the rest of this challenge, and beyond.

Here's Devin & Nate for more on this topic:

Mid-week content:

Alright everyone, it's Wednesday and that means it's time for the mid-week accompanying content for the exercise. Instead of having a video this week, we are going to keep it short and sweet with providing a resource that could help you identify your signature strengths. The Via Institute on Character is "a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing the science of character strengths to the world." They do this by creating surveys of character, supporting researchers on the topic, and developing practical tools for individuals and professionals, such as therapists, managers and educators.

Via has developed the following character strength survey based on extensive research that has been used across the globe by individuals and business alike in helping people identify their own personal signature strengths.

Thus, we invite you to take the free survey at the link above, and see what their tool identifies as your signature strengths.

We hope you enjoy and find value in this.

Sincerely,

Your AFS FitFam

@Alyssa Romig @Heidi Morris @Nate Langley @Heather Quinlan @Beth Manoogian @Amy Rivard @Lisa Damphousse @Kim Goodfellow @Aimee Tinkham @Corinne Albrecht @Rosalyn Zielke @Michael Gable @Mike Stack @Jenny Gordon @Nicole Porter @Lisa Baumgarten @Jessica Rice @Gayle Grady @Bailey Paull-Baird @Lauren Baker (RH) @Terry Lobb @Kemper Sosa @Anne Grady @Brook Adams @Zach Ottman @Emma Sheffert @Chris Early @Chris Eskin @Danny Gossman @Rose Stachowski @Darcy Blakemore @Angela Johnson

Comments

• Heidi MorrisHeidi Morris Member Rank ✭7✭

I am not sure if I am on the right track here with what we are supposed to think about, but this is what came to me (I am a list maker! However, I do use visualization or imagination regularly too:)

Talking with people over deep, meaningful things.

Being honest - about who I am, what I think and feel.

Being willing to give 110%.

Giving kids my attention and encouraging them.

• Heather  QuinlanHeather Quinlan Member, Inward Journey Meditation Group Member Rank ✭7✭

@Heidi Morris That is spot on YOU! And it's what I love about you! Having convos with you is one of my favorites!

I still have to give my signature strengths some thought, but I just wanted to share that. ☺️

• Andrea SpanglerAndrea Spangler Member Rank ✭5✭

Still trying to give this some reflection...but a few signature strengths:

Giving 100 (+)%  with everything I am involved in (but giving myself room for grace - when it doesn't happen) - but reflect on the why and what could be changed next time.

Family is very important to me but as I have gotten older - have realized that my self care is also just as important - so balancing the two areas and finding ways to incorporate them into it when possible (ie:  My son does Strength sessions at AFS too - and working out with him when our schedules align)

Being true to who I am and sharing my whole self with others

• Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin
    edited December 2019

I'll take a shot at this as well since we've gotten some participation rolling.

For me, I think some of my strengths are planning, analyzing and reflecting. I very much enjoy analyzing a situation, problem, or goal, and then breaking it down into smaller actions I can take to reach an end goal. I have always been this way thinking all of the way back to school, and it has served me well for the most part. As funny as it may sound to many, making spreadsheets to plan for savings and finances, or creating action plans for work goals, etc. leaves me feeling energized and excited.

I think this is a strength I should be sure to leverage not just in my health/fitness goals, but other areas of life where I may not be as confident (ie. "How can I become a better public speaker?".. that's a goal that can be broken down into actionable mini goals and make it feel more achievable). I think a big benefit of this exercise is to identify what has made us successful in certain areas of life, and applying it to the areas(s) of our lives where we lack the same level of self-efficacy.

Kudos to everyone who has gone thorugh this exercise so far, whether on the forum or privately.

Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator