Recipe: Chicken Kebabs w/ Chickpea Salad

AFS EducationAFS Education Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner admin

This recipe uses the infamous “shop and chop” method for preparing the chickpea salad, as pretty much everything requires a little bit of chopping and not a lot of thinking. Simply put, this method is just chopping all of your vegetables as soon as you get home from the grocery store. It gives you no excuse not to use them. They are ready and begging to be used, so you have less of an excuse not to put them in a dish. And the best thing with this salad is: no cooking necessary!

Now you might be thinking, “There is no way I can chop my veggies as soon as I get home, because then I have to go to my son’s baseball game, or pick up my daughter from soccer tryouts.” Not to worry! There is always another time to get the ball rolling. Or better yet, try to schedule your shopping trip around these other obligations, so your prep can be a priority as well. Stick with a plan, and run with it!

This concoction goes great with a small side of quinoa, a great filler with some killer fiber!

CHICKPEA SALAD

INGREDIENTS

·       2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained

·       1 small onion finely chopped

·       1 small bell pepper, finely chopped

·       A few ribs celery and leafy tops, chopped

·       1 clove garlic, minced or grated then grinded into a paste with salt

·       1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

·       2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped, a few sprigs

·       2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

·       2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

·       Salt and freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

Combine chick peas with onions, peppers, celery, garlic, red pepper flakes and rosemary in a bowl. Dress salad with vinegar and oil, salt and pepper.

CHICKEN KEBABS

INGREDIENTS

·       1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts

·       2 Tbsp olive oil

·       Zest and juice of 1 large lime

·       1 Tbsp chili powder

·       1 1/2 tsp ground cumin

·       1 clove garlic, chopped

·       1 jalapeño, chopped (remove seeds and membrane if sensitive to spice)

·       1/2 tsp kosher salt

·       1 large red bell pepper

·       1 large green bell pepper

·       1 large red onion

·       Fresh cilantro, for serving

·       Salsa, sour cream (or plain yogurt), and guacamole, optional for serving

DIRECTIONS

1.    Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place in a zip-top bag.

2.    In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the oil, lime juice and zest, chili powder, cumin, garlic, jalapeno, and salt. Pour over the chicken, seal the bag, and mix well. Place the bag in a baking dish to catch any accidental drips, then refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight. If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers in water for at least 20 minutes prior to use.

3.    When ready to cook, heat your grill to medium-high. Cut the bell peppers and onion into 3/4-inch chunks, then thread onto skewers with the marinated chicken pieces, alternating the chicken with the vegetables. Place the kabobs on the grill, cover, and let cook until the chicken is fully cooked and no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning the chicken once or twice throughout so that it cooks evenly.

4.    Remove the chicken kebabs to a serving plate and sprinkle with cilantro and a few squeezes of fresh lime juice. Serve warm, garnished with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole as desired.

Tagged: