Options

Discipline quotes by Jocko Willink

Terry LobbTerry Lobb Member, Inward Journey Meditation Group Member Rank ✭5✭

My favorite Navy Seals guy!!! His inspiration got me through a very rough leg fracture and year recovery period. Own It!!!!!

What ways do you discipline yourself to keep moving forward no matter how you feel???

Comments

• Options
    Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Thanks @Terry Lobb, love Jocko and his quotes, very inspirational for sure! I appreciate you sharing!

To answer your question, what keeps me motivated is actually more introspective; I journal to stay motivated. For me my journal contains two elements that I think are essential to my motivation and drive every day. The first element is gratitude. You hear a lot about gratitude (and it's benefits to overall wellbeing), personally I like what Tony Robbins says about gratitude. According to Robbins you can't "be grateful and fearful at the same time," he also says you can't "be worried (or anxious) and grateful at the same time." I truly believe these statements from Robbins. Other motivational speakers and development coaches echo these sentiments in a lot of their teaching. For me a big part of my daily journaling practice is gratitude.

The second element to my daily journaling is self-reflection of my behavior, performance, and attitude relative to my goals and values. Holding myself accountable to my goals and values on a daily basis helps me to stay motivated and disciplined. I firmly believe that if you have standards (for me these are values and goals, in that order, incidentally) and you check yourself relative to those standards daily it's much easier to stay motivated, focused, and driving towards the best version of yourself. Of course in order to do the second part of my journaling exercise you have to have taken the time to articulate your values and determine your goals. Once you've done that you can begin to hold yourself accountable to those standards daily through disciplined self-reflection and relentless honesty.

I will also add that I feel doing my journaling exercise extends beyond motivation to a much deeper level of drive. I've found that motivation is the very surface layer of drive for me (and others). I've truly find if you can dig deeper, to a much more elemental layer, there's a deeper passion, purpose and drive that you find. I think that's why journaling works so well for me, it allows me to tap into my subconscious much more and really access what lights me up on the inside. This results in a much more sustained drive and to much higher achievement.

I'd love to hear what other people use as tools to stay motivated. Taken a step further, does anyone feel they can access something even deeper than just motivation, that more elemental drive I referred to above.

Michael E. Stack, BS CFP CSCS*D CPS
    AGENT OF CHANGE, CEO, & Exercise Physiologist

• Options

Wow this is awesome! That takes discipline in itself to journal. I have so many blank journals or just a few pages filled. Gratitude is a great way to keep a positive attitude throughout the day. When do you find it best to journal? Mornings, evenings or both? You’ve given me a spark to start filling up my journals!!! Thanks!!!

• Options
    Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

I have listened to Jocko on a few podcasts and have really enjoyed his insights.

What I tell myself when I am feeling less motivated or "lazy" or whatever you want to call it is that everything we do is establishing a habit. Every single action, if done over time, becomes habit. That means half-ass'ing things, taking the easy way out, making excuses etc.. Those becomes habits if you give yourself space to do them over time. This turns the internal dialogue in my head from "Oh doing this this one time isn't that big of a deal" into "this could be the first step in creating a really bad habit". That is one thing that works for me at least.

PS- I see that this fractured leg is what you were referring to in your No Cave post update this week about your recovery. Congratulations on getting back to two FS classes per week after your injury and long recovery. That must be very exciting!

Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator
  • Options
    Angela JohnsonAngela Johnson Member Rank ✭6✭

@Terry Lobb: Thank you for sharing. I have the utmost respect for Navy Seals. If/when you begin journaling, it would be wonderful to hear how it goes. I keep my journal on a small nightstand on the side of the bed that I get out of. Keeping it in that place serves as a constant reminder that I can choose the benefits of journaling, and do so in the morning or before falling asleep. 

@Mike Stack Faith and impermanence are my deepest motivators largely because what I want to see in society, isn't readily established as of yet. When I feel broken, I remind myself to live out The Paradoxical Commandments; Mother Teresa’s version though. Lighter motivators for me are literal written reminders that I keep in my home; posters, wall hangings, a white board in my bedroom.

The Paradoxical Commandments

Mother Teresa's Version

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered; forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies; succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you; be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight; create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous; be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten; do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough; give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

• Options

Shes one of my favorites!!!! I So love that!!!!!

Great idea about leaving a journal on your bed-stand. I Started a blog about overeating. this has encouraged me to continue writing. it was a result of a 40 day fast from junk food. i journaled each day then started a devotional type blog describing my journey.i need to get back to it and complete what i started!!!

• Options

@Sawyer Paull-Baird YES it has been very exciting. I told Anna tonight that the restorative yoga classes so helped me back to FS classes. Im loving both so much!!! Im building my strength for surgery part two for my hardware removal and knee scope 12/12. Not sure how long I will out but I refuse to stay down and will get right back at it. It will be a great time for journaling and writing!!!!

• Options
    Angela JohnsonAngela Johnson Member Rank ✭6✭

<3 <3 <3

Way cool! 40 days is a long time in my book of life, so way to go <3 Rooting for you to pick it back up @Terry Lobb and see how it goes :-)