Options

Avoid carbs as a diabetic?

Eileen  McNallyEileen McNally Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Hi friends! I have a client I am working with who's doc said she should be extremely low carb and increase fats in her diet. I believe it's not about restricting carbohydrates all together, it's about learning to stabilize our blood sugar throughout the day right @Bella Diaz ? I wanted to ask the community to help this client feel less alone and connect with other diabetics to gain more insight on how you deal with this. :)

Eileen McNally BS, CPT, RYT 

AGENT OF CHANGE

Applied Fitness Solutions Rochester Hills

Comments

• Options
    Eileen  McNallyEileen McNally Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Bella Diaz SO helpful! Thank you for your incredible insight :)

Eileen McNally BS, CPT, RYT 

AGENT OF CHANGE

Applied Fitness Solutions Rochester Hills

• Options
    Patti ThibodeauPatti Thibodeau Member Rank ✭3✭

Very informative Bella! I especially like the listing of current carb recommendations!

I know that those with diabetes or prediabetes need to be more stringent, I think that when people in general say they want to follow a low carb diet, what they often mean is a no/low CRAP diet...CRAP is acronym for Carbs that are Refined And Processed. Very simplified, easy to remember and implement! I also think that when many health care providers advise their patients to eat ‘low carb diets’, this is what they mean but don’t have the time to fully explain and patients leave their appointments confused and not fully educated...they all need a Bella in their office to refer their patients to!

• Options
    Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Bella Diaz and @Sawyer Paull-Baird, great information that you provided here (Sawyer, great call on increasing muscle mass). One thing I'll add in, because I think it gets lost in the discussion of diabetes management sometimes is the role of exercise and physical activity. Keep in mind movement is literally the way to circumvent the body's insulin dysfunction when it comes to diabetes. Since movement and exercise transport carbohydrate into the cell without the aid of insulin, movement and exercise is without a doubt the simplest first-line treatment for managing blood sugar. This just doesn't have to be formal exercise either. Meeting standard physical activity requirements (of 150 min/week or 10,000 steps per day) is a great way to manage blood sugar.

I say all of this because I feel like movement and exercise get lost in a more complicated (from a behavioral perspective) conversation around carbohydrate intake. Don't get me wrong I think managing carb intake effectively is very important, but it's also a behavioral challenge because of the ever-present impact of having to modify our diet. With that said, @Eileen McNally please make sure you pass along the information that Bella and Sawyer pointed out above, but also make sure your client knows how impactful exercise and physical activity can be to managing their diabetes (and as an added bonus, all of the other health benefits that exercise confers).

Michael E. Stack, BS CFP CSCS*D CPS
    AGENT OF CHANGE, CEO, & Exercise Physiologist