Options

Recipe: Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde Soup

Peter SchultzPeter Schultz Member Rank ✭5✭

Hey everyone! As a part of my fitness journey, I've gotten into healthy cooking a lot more. I'm a pretty busy guy, so I usually don't have a lot of time for grocery shopping or cooking elaborate recipes. Basically, if it's not easily made with food that keeps in the pantry or fridge for a long time and I can always have on hand, I don't make it!

With that in mind, I want to periodically share a few of the healthy recipes I've made, in case anyone wants to try them out!

Today's recipe is Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde Soup. If you haven't been converted to the Instant Pot yet, let me tell you, it's great. Like I said, I'm a busy guy, so I love being able to just dump the ingredients in, hit a button, and come back a bit later and have a delicious dinner ready to eat.

Here's a link for the recipe: https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/shortcut-instant-pot-chicken-chile-verde-soup/

Ingredients

• 3 chicken breasts roughly 1.5 lbs
  • 1 can of black beans 540mL/ 19 oz cannellini drained and rinsed
  • 1 can green chiles 127 mL/ 4.3 oz
  • 1 can of corn kernels 340mL/ 11.5 oz , drained
  • 1 onion diced
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 2 cup salsa verde * (I just used a whole jar)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups chicken stock (I used low-sodium chicken broth)
  • If you want to add some heat, add diced jalapenos and some cayenne pepper

After cooking

• 3 tablespoons cornmeal (I'd consider this optional. I skipped it, and it was still delicious)
  • juice of 1 lime

Instructions

• In the base of a 6 quart Instant Pot, combine all ingredients.
  • Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Release pressure immediately (10 minutes natural pressure release is fine, too).
  • Remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks.
  • Stir in the cornmeal and lime juice.
  • Serve with yogurt, cilantro, tortilla chips and/or shredded cheese.

Nutrition

Serving: 1/8 of batch | Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 1072mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Love it Peter! Sounds amazing, I'll have to try it, I love easy meals.

Michael E. Stack, BS CFP CSCS*D CPS
    AGENT OF CHANGE, CEO, & Exercise Physiologist

• Options
    Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

This is awesome, Peter! Both the instapot and crockpot are great for making quick and easy meals. I also love these sorts of chili, stews, soups etc. as they can be made in bulk and use throughout the week. I hope to use this one in the near future! Keep sharing these!

Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator
  • Options
    Bailey Paull-BairdBailey Paull-Baird Member, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Sounds awesome man! And I definitely need to get an Instant Pot. Thanks for sharing!