Options

It's getting darker and darker -- how do you hold onto energy?

Corinne AlbrechtCorinne Albrecht Member, AFS Staff Rank ✭8✭
edited November 2020 in Lifestyle
Hey all!
Not only are we heading into some colder weather, but we're also getting ready to change the clocks, so this is about the time of year where my stress and anxiety over darkness settles in. A couple months ago Chris Dager and I resolved to approach this season with a proactive mindset and look at it as an opportunity instead of impending doom; I've tried soup making, brought out my favorite cuddle blankets, and put out some seasonal candles that are just :) heavenly :)
It's been hugely helpful, but that loss of natural light is about to hit me hard and I'd like a couple more positive items in my toolbox for fighting SAD/the darkness in general. What kinds of things do y'all do to keep the spirits and energy up?

Best Answers

• Options
    Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin
    Answer ✓
    This is a great one Corinne, thanks for posting!! Not to get too scientific on this one or anything, but this starts to get into an area called circadian rhythms (or bio rhythms). We all have an "internal clock" that is set by many things, the time we get up, the time we go to bed, the foods we eat and when we eat them. These "rhythms" are very real and effect us on a daily basis in everything we do, many of us just don't realize it.  Light/dark cycles can have some of the more profound impacts on our circadian rhythms in fact, that's where this time of year starts to get interesting.
    I'm not an expert on Seasonal Affective Disorder in the least, so I don't want to claim too much science in this particular area. However, with regard to circadian rhythm stability, I think I have a strong enough scientific background to bring this into the discussion and I think it will be useful for everyone to understand. Below are some thoughts and suggestions as to how to stabilize your circadian rhythms which in turn should have some effect on combating the winter blues as a result of less sunlight:
    1. Maintain a consistent sleeping and waking time. This is a big issue I see with some people during the winter. I also think it is the most important area to address (far more than the other two below). In general, because it's light out less many people will go to bed earlier on some nights (but not all, so their sleep becomes inconsistent, this is bad for circadian rhythms). Because it's cold out (and maybe snowy) some people stay in bed longer and later in the morning (thereby throwing off their waking time and dysregulating circadian rhythms further). The combination of inconsistent sleep and wake time can cause major issues with your internal clock. If this is off, many other things end up being off in human body by proxy. I actually think this is one of the most underappreciated aspect of managing seasonal blues, to a great extent. I'm surprised it's not talked about more often. Long story short on this one, if you can maintain a consistent sleep and waking cycle you stand a better chance of regulating your entire body in a much better way throughout the winter.
    2. Get as much natural light as possible. A lot of the circadian rhythm research suggests getting natural light as quick and as early as you can on a given day, and ideally for a 15-30min period of time. If you can't get that by being outside (which I get b/c it's cold AF in the winter) something like this works well: Light Therapy Lamp.
    3. Exercise early in the day. This is a big one and can really act to activate your circadian rhythms early on to get you going during the day. This is a very unappreciated way to kick start your circadian rhythms in the morning set you up well for the day.
    I hope this is helpful, I'm very curious to hear what other people have to say - continue the discussion for sure!!!

Michael E. Stack, BS CFP CSCS*D CPS
    AGENT OF CHANGE, CEO, & Exercise Physiologist

• Options
    Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin
    Answer ✓
    Same disclaimer as Mike, this is not an area of expertise for me, however there are a few good resources out there I list below showing scientific support for vitamin D supplementation, and light therapy.  Mike and I approached this from a very SCIENCE(!) mindset (surprise!).. so I'd be interested to hear from those who deal with SAD, how they might battle it from a mindset, lifestyle, social support etc. standpoint.  

1) https://examine.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-and-depression/
    A snippet from the link:

2)Link #1 (scholarly article)  & Link #2 (mayo clinic and less "sciencey")
    Conclusion from schloarly article:
    "CONCLUSIONS: Many reports of the efficacy of light therapy are not based on rigorous study designs. This analysis of randomized, controlled trials suggests that bright light treatment and dawn simulation for seasonal affective disorder and bright light for nonseasonal depression are efficacious, with effect sizes equivalent to those in most antidepressant pharmacotherapy trials. Adopting standard approaches to light therapy’s specific issues (e.g., defining parameters of active versus placebo conditions) and incorporating rigorous designs (e.g., adequate group sizes, randomized assignment) are necessary to evaluate light therapy for mood disorders."
    Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator
  • Options
    Emma SheffertEmma Sheffert Member, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin
    Answer ✓
    Corinne! This is hugely important this time of year. I know many people who are impacted a lot by SAD and the lack of sunshine. Vitamin D supplements and the "happy" lights are things that those people have found beneficial. While I am not impacted as much by the changing of seasons, I hope you or someone else can relate to little things that bring me joy when there isn't sunshine to do so!
    For me it varies from day to day what I need as a "self care" routine. On days where I am on my feet all day at work, I cuddle up with a cozy blanket, a cup of tea and a good book (I'm really into thrillers right now, must be the season!). Candles, soup and warm cups of tea never fail to make me feel better. When it gets later in the season, christmas music is another thing that always lifts my spirits. I like to decorate for holidays as soon as I can because the christmas lights bring me a lot of comfort knowing that they cold is leading to magical day.

Other days when I am at home all day, I find that I need an activity as something to look forward to and plan my day around. It can be something as simple as returning a library book or running to the grocery store. I try to have a schedule even on those days so that I don't end up laying around all day and feeling useless/unproductive/a total slug by the end of the day. I also try to take walks as long as the weather permits. Being outdoors brings me a lot of energy that I don't feel like I get in a lot of other actives. While its not ideal during this time of year, I try to bundle up and at least spend a little time outdoors. 

When in doubt, I call my dad or set up a hang out with friends. Having meaningful contact outside of work makes a huge difference in my mood. The introvert in me never thinks I need it, but planning something small once a week can change my mood for days after. :) 

Answers

• Options
    Corinne AlbrechtCorinne Albrecht Member, AFS Staff Rank ✭8✭
    @Emma Sheffert
    Thanks so much, Em!! I'm 100% with you on the Christmas thing -- having the holidays to look forward to makes the cold and snow exciting to me! ...as long as it disappears by January 2nd  :wink: I also really like what you said about meaningful contact. I'm a homebody through and through and I think I probably use the dark/cold season as an excuse to be home more than normal. I'll make an effort to get out there!

Are there any particular teas you find either lift your spirits or brighten you up? I love tea but I'm wary buying a whole box as an experiment, so a rec from you would make it worth it!