Options

What Are Good Protein Bars and Shakes?

AFS EducationAFS Education Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner admin
edited October 2019 in Knowledge Base
Overview: If you’ve gone into any grocery store and look down the protein bar/shake aisle you’ll find nearly endless choices. How do you know which bar or shake is best for you to choose? In this video we’ll explore what makes a good protein bar and protein shake, as well as how to make the correct choice for you. We’ll also explore how these bars and shakes can make an excellent healthy snack for you as you go throughout your busy day. If you’re interested in finding out what is the best bar or shake for your needs, check out this video.

Additional Resources:

Comments

• Options
    Judy SternJudy Stern Member Rank ✭3✭

Good information, would like to know which type of protein the bars have and specifically a couple pea protein bar suggestions. Also maybe making your own bars or bites? Thanks.

• Options
    Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Judy Stern, I can't be that helpful with making your own bars or bites (that's a little out of my scope). Our dietician @Bella Diaz may be able to provide some insight on this. Bella, do you have any suggestions for ways to make protein bars and bites?

Judy, in terms of plant-based or pea protein bars, here are some options below:

These are the bars I'd recommend you try first. There are definitely other ones on the market, but these bars are the highest quality by far and also have the best taste. Give those a try and let us know what you think.

Michael E. Stack, BS CFP CSCS*D CPS
    AGENT OF CHANGE, CEO, & Exercise Physiologist

• Options
    Judy SternJudy Stern Member Rank ✭3✭

Thanks @mikestack I’ve tried the Vega bars and while I do like a couple of them, they have a fairy short shelf life which limits how many I can buy at a time. I will try the other brands. Thanks again.

• Options
    Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Great @Judy Stern! Let us know what you think. Everyone is always looking for good reviews of protein bars.

• Options
    Candice  GarlowCandice Garlow Member Rank ✭3✭

I love this place! Their super knowledgeable about the smoothies, bars, and other items they sell. My favorite smoothie is the Protein Punch!

• Options
    Corinne AlbrechtCorinne Albrecht Member, AFS Staff Rank ✭8✭

Question! For reasons unknown to me, protein bars and/or protein shakes make me sick to my stomach. I've tried both whey and pea protein and the same thing happens regardless. Is the content of the bars/shakes or just the fact that I eat them infrequently (bc they make me sick) and thus my body never "gets used" to them?

• Options
    Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin
    edited December 2019

Hey @Corinne Albrecht , it's possible that it's the amount of protein all in one sitting that is making you feel sick. Sometimes high doses of protein, for those who are not accustomed, can do that.

Here are some things to try:

1) Start with half a serving for a couple of weeks, then 3/4, then a full. This could give your body time to get used to the amount of protein in the serving

2) Eat them as part of a snack consisting of other foods as well versus on an empty stomach. For example, 5 almonds, a low fat cheese stick, and half a serving of whey protein would half similar calories and protein content to a bar or shake, and might sit better on your stomach? You don't have to do this exact combination.. it's the concept that matters.

3) Experiment with different bars and powders with different sweeteners and see if one works better for you than another.

4) Skim (or other reduced fat) milk+ a smaller serving of the powder would equate to a similar amount of protein, less powder, and perhaps would sit better in your stomach?

As a somewhat related aside.. I will say that higher protein diets in general do sometimes lead to a more "active" GI system (bluntly.. more gas.. more frequent bathroom trips). While this can be bothersome/annoying, it's not inherently bad for you or dangerous and I'd certainly imagine the countless health benefits of a higher protein diet would outweigh this. 🤣🤷‍♂️

Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator
  • Options

@Sawyer Paull-Baird thanks for all the info!!! I usually do my protein shakes with 12oz of oat milk and 1 scoop of whey. For protein bars, I've used a bunch of different brands and found a few that work (I only know them by what they look like, not name though hahaha 😂). Generally I prefer the shakes, as the bars often have this like....dusty texture haha

I think I'll try eating half a serving of protein with some other light snacks--my protein serving usually gets consumed in the AM when all I've had prior is coffee. I'll try your other recommendations too, for sure, but this one seems like the best fit to start with.

Also, yes haha I'm prepared for the activity of my GI system! It honestly probably needs it 😝

• Options
    Sarah BonnerSarah Bonner Member Rank ✭5✭

@Corinne Albrecht protein powders and bars were making me have terrible headaches! Turns out it was the artificial sweeteners in them for me. @Kemper Sosa had me start a very clean protein powder. Naked whey. I have had no problems since I switched to this one. Good luck! I am always trying to hit my protein goal!!!

• Options

@Sarah Bonner, do artificial sweeteners in other foods give you headaches? Just curious, it could have been the artificial sweeteners, but it also could have been the type whey protein you were using. Artificial sweeteners are in so many things we consume it would be interesting to know if you experience similar symptoms with other foods/beverages containing artificial sweeteners (like diet pop, sugarless gum, etc.).

• Options

@Sarah Bonner oh how interesting! Is it flavorless? How do you consume it?

• Options

@Mike Stack all artificial sweeteners give me the worst headaches! Ever since I was in high school during the time when everyone thought sugar free was great. I thought that I could do Stevia because it is all natural but I can't. I have the same reaction. :(

• Options

@Corinne Albrecht You need to blend it because it gets fluffy! haha. I have a shake after I workout with 2 scoops of it, kale, spinach, blueberries and a splash of OJ to cut the taste. It is definitely an acquired taste but I really like it.

• Options

@Sarah Bonner, that's very interesting. It's good to know that's a trigger for you. I'm sure it makes quite a difference having that out of your diet. Thanks for sharing your insight.