Options

Bring back the AFS running group?

Nicole PorterNicole Porter Member Rank ✭6✭

I know when I first started at AFS 5+ years ago, there was a running group. I haven't heard a peep about it in some time and would like to bring it back. How can we make that happen?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Hey Nicole. The Running Group was something that we loved the idea/spirit of, but it just never really took off so we had to redirect our time elsewhere. That being said, I think the forum could be used as a vehicle to informally try to get this back up, in a client-driven fashion.

If you wanted to get this started, you could create a post looking for people who may be interested, and then I could pin that post for you to the top of the category. You could then use that thread in the forum to communicate with one another and set up days/times to run. Sort of like a running accountability/support group. If it got big enough, we could create a seperate category for it here.

We'd also be happy to promote it on Facebook for ya to spread the word if this is something you'd want to set-up.

Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator
  • Options

Awesomesauce! I'm guessing we'd probably hold off on any real action until after the snow melts in the spring, but I'd love to pick up the mantle on this!

• Options
    Chris EskinChris Eskin Member, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Hey Nicole,

I do not believe we have ever met, but I am one of the coaches out in Plymouth. We have a few people in Plymouth who do this sort of thing that I am sure would love to collaborate and figure out a way to get both communities together. Let me virtually introduce you to @Darcy Blakemore!

Hope you are surviving the first snowpocalypse of the season :)

Chris Eskin

• Options
    Peter SchultzPeter Schultz Member Rank ✭5✭
    edited November 2019

I think there's a running group group (not affiliated with AFS) that meets at the park in downtown Plymouth on Tuesdays. I haven't been myself, I actually just saw a sign for it this fall when I was downtown. Maybe we could piggyback on that.

• Options
    Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Sawyer Paull-Baird is absolutely correct, the running group never took off. There were too many logistically limitations to it working unfortunately. That being said, Kathleen Gina, who was the coach of our running group, moved that group over to Ann Arbor Running Company when we phased the program out. Below is a link to their running group page. They do an amazing job, and Kathleen, is an amazing coach (I've known her for nearly two decades and she's great on so many levels). Check out this link and go see Kathleen and AARC, let her know AFS sent you:

https://www.annarborrunningcompany.com/pages/group-runs

Michael E. Stack, BS CFP CSCS*D CPS
    AGENT OF CHANGE, CEO, & Exercise Physiologist

• Options
    Lisa DamphousseLisa Damphousse Member Rank ✭4✭

Hey guys!! Just in case anyone is interested in this type of group out here at AFS-RH, @Sarah Chasson-Reiman was organizing some informal group runs earlier this year. Maybe that is something that we can start up again in the spring? Personally, I LOVE cold weather running. But I understand that most don't prefer these conditions.

I love @Sawyer Paull-Baird's suggestion of maybe somehow pinning a thread here on the forum where we can arrange meeting dates/times at the different AFS locations. That sounds like it might work really well! I am in a couple of running groups on Facebook that meet up out here in the Rochester area. Posting run dates/locations in that manner has worked really well for those groups.

If anyone wants to meet up before spring for some winter running, feel free to hit me up!! I can also introduce you to a couple of local running groups out here in the Rochester community (on Facebook) if you're looking to try something new!!

• Options
    Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

I will go ahead and pin a thread at the top of the exercise section of the forum. If there is enough activity in there, we can create a separate category for this. Hope this takes off as I think it's a great idea!

Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator
  • Options
    Sarah WaldmanSarah Waldman Member Rank ✭1✭

There is a Runner/Walker group that meets in Plymouth. You can find them at http://www.rundtp.com/

• Options
    Shaina TinseyShaina Tinsey Member Rank ✭5✭

I was planning to use the forum to seek out a running buddy or squad...come spring. I'm not hearty enough for dark cold winter runs. It's treadmill season for me!

• Options
    Darcy BlakemoreDarcy Blakemore Member Rank ✭5✭
    edited November 2019

Hi Nicole,

It is so nice to meet you. I am out of the Plymouth AFS. I started a Facebook page this Spring for a running group and I also was posting about up coming races. I would Love to help with getting an AFS running group together. I am also running outside during the Winter in Livonia with a group called Livonia Park Run. It is Saturday 9am. I can find the link and post here .

• Options

Kona 10K, 5K is this weekend in Plymouth. The link is below to register. I will be running the 5k Chocolate run this weekend and I'm also going to run the 10k Turkeybatrot in Detroit on Thanksgiving morning if anyone wants to join me 😁http://konachocolaterun.com/

• Options

Great info all! I'm local to Ypsi, so I'm looking to stay in this area. I've done the AARC runs on and off for the last few years when training for halfs and needing distance runs with support, but their schedule doesn't work with my current spin instructor schedule (plus, if I'm up that early, I'm going to FSx with Kemper!).

I'd love to see an evening running group, as my mornings are already promised to classes at AFS-AA, maybe meeting up at Wooley Park or Marshview Meadows on Textile since there are paved paths that run all the way into Saline from there? I'm not opposed to winter running also - cold weather doesn't bother me, but I'm just trying to not slip and fall.

• Options

Hi Nicole. I live in Westland but I'd be willing to meet for an evening run. Let me know. I have SS on Tuesda night and another class Thursday night ither than that I can work it out and head your way. I am always willing to try a new adventure. I don't run very fast lol. 9.40 pace

• Options

Awesomesauce! That would be great! (And I'm not a fast runner either, I'm in it for distance!)