Options

Thyroid issues...

Kim GoodfellowKim Goodfellow Member, Foundations Course Member Rank ✭5✭

Hi AFS family.

Everything I have researched suggests that this is a common struggle with many people so I was hoping to find strength in numbers. 12 years ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease ( autoimmune disorder causing an under active thyroid) . I spent 11 of those years just getting by until one day I looked at my daughter and decided to take back my health to my own hands and fight for it to be around longer for her. October of 2018, I made an appointment with a new doctor that kick started a brand new outlook on my future. New medicine and new dosage= energy! Energy turned into exercise. I was so excited that I had lost weight with simple diet and exercise changes in a two months time frame that friends of mine introduced me to AFS. Through the POWER of diet and exercise, 13/14 months later, I am down 55 pounds and now fighting between an OVER active thyroid and under active thyroid.

I know this will be something I fight with for the rest of my life- but would love to hear from anyone else that might be going through the same thing... Things that help you through the day without falling asleep talking. Exercise has given me energy to get through the day and I was able to cut out an energy drink here and there. But maybe there is some foods that could help with energy that do not counter-act the medicine.

😀

Comments

• Options
    Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, Kim. I know I have worked with many clients over the years who have struggled with Varying thyroid related conditions. So I know there are others out there that will benefit from hearing your story, or talking about it.

Awesome to hear how you've overcame this and had great success with your fitness.

I am not sure I can answer your final question there regarding food specifically that can help with energy and your thyroid condition (that's a little outside my scope), other than your normal recommendations of fruit, vegetables, protein. That said, @Bella Diaz , our on-staff RD might be able to share more.

Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator
  • Options
    Bella  DiazBella Diaz Member, Practitioner, AFS Staff, Inward Journey Meditation Group Member admin
    edited November 2019

Thanks for the tag @Sawyer Paull-Baird! @Kim Goodfellow, this is amazing! I am so glad that you decided to take your health into your own hands & have been able to adopt a healthy lifestyle for yourself :)

When it comes to hypothyroidism or Hashimoto's Disease (very common you are right!), the research shows that adopting a heart-healthy diet that emphasizes lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, heart-healthy fats and omega-3s, and high fiber foods can make a huge difference! Since hypothyroidism is closely linked to cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and celiac disease, a whole-foods & minimally processed diet is important.

Have you been tested for celiac disease? I ask because although there have been no studies to tie a gluten-free diet to improved symptoms in those without celiac disease, it may help to improve symptoms (constipation, fatigue, weight gain, or anemia) and may be worth a shot for a trial period!

Are you currently on thyroid hormone replacement medication? I would have your levels of B12, iodine, vitamin D, and selenium checked out by your physician if you have not already. Deficiencies or excess of these nutrients can exacerbate or trigger some symptoms!

I hope this helps! I am always available if you have other questions.

Bella, MS RDN

Bella Diaz, MS RDN

Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Applied Fitness Solutions

(810) 360-7130 | bella@4afsfit.com

• Options

Thank you @Sawyer Paull-Baird for tagging @Bella Diaz ! It has been on my to do list to make an appointment with her. It sounds like I could greatly benefit from your expertise!! 🙋‍♀️🥰

I was consistently losing weight until just recently. I inquired with my doctor because I noticed other symptoms that I had relief from had also returned. It was frustrating when it seemed so much forward progress has been made. She asked to see my food logs before making any changes to my medicine. At that point she mentioned that going gluten free might help tremendously. My husband was just diagnosed 2 weeks prior with Celiac disease, so making the switch wasn't awful since alot of it had already been incorporated. It did clear up some issues. Although with some more research after that, I found that there is still many fruits, vegetables and healthy foods that can also effect the medicine effects or thyroid function. The exercise part of this is definitely the easy part. Nutrition part... UGH!!

• Options
    Bella  DiazBella Diaz Member, Practitioner, AFS Staff, Inward Journey Meditation Group Member admin

@Kim Goodfellow YES please feel free to email me or make an appointment to come in & chat anytime!

Ah okay, I'm glad you were proactive and went to seek help from your doctor. That is great that some of your symptoms have been cleared up from going gluten-free! I would continue to stick with it for at least 4-6 weeks and see how it has effected your energy & symptoms.

There are definitely some foods and supplements that could be impacting your thyroid function or interacting with medication. I have included some resources below to get some further info:

You got this Kim!!

Bella Diaz, MS RDN

Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Applied Fitness Solutions

(810) 360-7130 | bella@4afsfit.com

• Options
    Claire TrappClaire Trapp Member, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Kim Goodfellow Happy Friday and nice to meet you! I'm a practitioner in Ann Arbor and I absolutely love that you shared your story and are looking to explor more information. Thank you! This is exactly how I wished this forum would be used and I hope you don't mind that I'm using you as an example to some of my clients.

So thanks again and I hope you have a great weekend!

• Options

@Claire Trapp this forum is amazing! I ❤️ that I could help be an example! We are all in this together whether our stories match, somewhat similar or polar opposites. We can all learn from someone else's experiences or knowledge!! Happy Friday!!!