Options

New find in the (non)dairy aisle/Looking for Recommendations

Tricia NaultTricia Nault Member, AFS Staff Rank ✭7✭
edited February 2020 in Nutrition

For anyone who needs to stay away from dairy or who is wondering about eating plant based food options:

Country Crock plant butter with olive oil!!

Holy turnips, it tastes just like butter on toast!

Does anyone have some other "health food" grocery items that they recommend (or ones to stay away from?!)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Corinne AlbrechtCorinne Albrecht Member, AFS Staff Rank ✭8✭

I'll sing the praises of oat milk all day! I really, really like the taste and consistency (I think almond milk is kind of watery and bleh taste) and I've found it's a great alternative to dairy.

I also really like Quorn products for meatless options. Their "chicken" nuggets are to die for!

• Options
    Stephanie CarrollStephanie Carroll Member Rank ✭5✭

I absolutely love the SO Delicious coconut line of products. Their yogurt (the key lime is fantastic) and their frozen whip (like ice cream) are wonderful.

• Options

Thank you @Stephanie Carroll and @Corinne Albrecht, I will be looking for those!

• Options
    Brook AdamsBrook Adams Member, Practitioner admin

It's not in the "aisle" so to say. But just so everyone knows, Coffee and Cream on Joy road has soy based ice cream...

• Options
    Nicole PorterNicole Porter Member Rank ✭6✭

Almost vegan here with a laundry list:

• Daiya products, especially their Mac & Cheese, and their delux cheese sauce (we use it to make fake Arby's beef & cheddars and philly cheese steaks)
    • Gardein - all of the products
    • Earth Balance for butter - also comes in sticks for baking
    • We're not picky about our non-dairy milk, since we also really use it in coffee and cooking
    • Sweet Earth faux bacon is the best, followed by LightLife. We also love SweetEarth's seitan, and all of LightLife's deli "meats" and "hot dogs"
    • Quorn vegan spicy chik'n patties are my husband's favorite
    • Chao for sliced cheese
    • Treeline for soft spreadable cheese
  • Options

Thank you @Brook Adams for the dirt (or soy) on the place that has dairy free ice cream!

And thank you @Nicole Porter for the impressive list of new things for me to try. It sure helps having the recommendations so that I'm not discouraged when eating the less-than-stellar brands!

Anyone wanting to make a field trip to Coffee and Cream for soy ice cream, let me know!

• Options
    Chris FirlikChris Firlik Member Rank ✭4✭

I would likely commit a crime to get my hands on Treeline. It is atrociously expensive since it’s made of cashews, but no crumb of it is lost on me and I have probably spent money on much less satisfying things before.

I do like Chao for slices, but my favorite is Violife smoked provolone style slices. Amazing taste, just harder to find (I think I have only seen it at Whole Foods, whereas Kroger has Chao). While Daiya is great for shreds and sauce like Nicole mentions, I would caution against their slices; they taste odd for some reason.

For frozen treats, I like the both the Magnum non-dairy ice cream pops and the ones Haagen Daz makes that are peanut butter chocolate. Ben & Jerry’s non-dairy pints are also wonderful.

Also a hidden vegan gem at Kroger: white cheddar quinoa puffs! Tastes just like regular cheese doodles but no actual cheese is involved. 😄

• Options

Thank you @Chris Firlik!! I'm excited to try the ice cream and that quinoa puffs!