Welcome to No Cave November! Kick-off week!

AFS EducationAFS Education Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner admin

Hello AFS FitFam and welcome to Kick-off week of the No Cave November Challenge!

To start each week we will be posting videos with valuable lessons and reflective activities all geared towards helping support one another in being successful with our goals. You can look for these videos early Monday morning, and then keep your eyes peeled for mid-week follow-up content as well. We are super excited to be going along with you all on this ride for the next 7 weeks!

Without further ado, below is the kick-off week video from Devin and Nate on what to expect in the weeks ahead.

Stick Link:

Suggested actions:

1) Watch the video above and create a StickK goal (optional but suggested)

2) Spread the word to your fellow AFS friends. People can still join the challenge throughout this week!

3) Follow the No Cave November category by following the directions at the bottom of this post, so that you get email updates each week on videos.

PS- If you're not a current AFS client, but would like to participate, please email Sawyer@4afsfit.com, and we can set you up with an account.

Additional Resources Update (11-19-19):

Good afternoon AFS FitFamily!

It's been awesome watching everyone identify their goals this week.

On that note, I think it makes sense to talk a little bit about goal setting. Oftentimes we are in such a rush to take action, that sometimes we don't take the proper time or attention on the art of setting our goals (yes, it is an art!).

Here are a couple of resources that could be helpful in the goal setting/refining process this week.

If you read or watch the resources and want to share your takeaways or thoughts, please do so in the comments below!

Each week I will be posting some additional resources such as these that build on the topic of the week. These resources are obviously 100% optional, and how much you consume of them is entirely up to you.

I hope you all find these valuable, and I look forward to some juicy discussions in the comments.

First a video:

Second, a blog from James Clear, author of the best-selling book, Atomic Habits:

UPDATE 11-21-19- Mid-week reflective video from Devin. Check it out below, and share your 3 activities (explained in the video) in the comments below. Enjoy!

In health,

@Alyssa Romig @Heidi Morris @Nate Langley @Heather Quinlan @Beth Manoogian @Amy Rivard @Lisa Damphousse @Kim Goodfellow @Aimee Tinkham @Corinne Albrecht @Rosalyn Zielke @Michael Gable @Mike Stack @Jenny Gordon @Nicole Porter @Lisa Baumgarten @Jessica Rice @Gayle Grady @Bailey Paull-Baird @Lauren Baker (RH) @Terry Lobb @Kemper Sosa @Anne Grady @Brook Adams @Zach Ottman @Emma Sheffert @Chris Early @Chris Eskin @Danny Gossman @Rose Stachowski @Darcy Blakemore @Angela Johnson

Tagged:

Comments

• Stephanie CarrollStephanie Carroll Member Rank ✭5✭

This is a wonderful way to keep our health and wellness on track this holiday season. Making a contract with yourself is the best gift of the season. It's easy and everyone wins!

• Bailey Paull-BairdBailey Paull-Baird Member, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Thanks guys! Using Stickk to track my goal has been helpful so far!

• Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Rose Smith isn't that a clever little motivational tactic they have! I really really liked that idea.

Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator
  • Beth ManoogianBeth Manoogian Member Rank ✭7✭
  • Wendy Smith-SharpWendy Smith-Sharp Member Rank ✭2✭

Back on the wagon 😁

• Just set my goal and have some money on the line! Super excited about the accountability aspect!

• Nicole PorterNicole Porter Member Rank ✭6✭

My Facebook post is up to encourage folks (which @Sawyer Paull-Baird saw!) and I'm trying to finish some actual work so I can get to the Stickk post...it's a special level of circus this week!

• Kemper SosaKemper Sosa Member, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin
    edited November 2019

Believe it or not, I have maintained the Oreo goal each week that I set up on Stickk! See below:

https://vimeo.com/370508591

Kemper Sosa

Agent of Change & General Manager

BS, CPT, CSCS, ACSM Exercise Physiologist

• Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Chris Early absolutely! StickK is just an option, not a requirement. Certainly not everyone is going to be motivated by a financial incentive. At the end of the day, the most important thing is that we've written down and stated our commitment.. and using the community for accountability and support just like you say!

Nice work smashing your goals so far!

• Beth ManoogianBeth Manoogian Member Rank ✭7✭

in response to the mid-week update: the only thing that has tried to walk me away from my goal so far was that blizzard last week. After shoveling snow for 1.5 hours Monday night I wasn’t sure I was going to make it to 6AM FSX Tuesday (plus the roads were gross). But I made it! Otherwise no barriers, working out 6x/week and just got off the Peloton! 💪

• Kim GoodfellowKim Goodfellow Member, Foundations Course Member Rank ✭5✭

mid week update: My goal is to keep my mouth away of the sweets/desserts-

so far..... I have been able to walk away from the big bowl of Halloween Candy.. But the challenge came for my daughters birthday party. 5 eleven year olds at a hotel. I sugared them up to be the fun mom, but forgot to bring better options for myself.. I caved and had couple bites of cake. Which lead to a couple oreos.. 😣

Next challenge- celebrating 3 thanksgiving dinners and two holiday parties next week.. I can smell all the sugar already.. 🤐🤐🤐

• Brianne HydeBrianne Hyde Member Rank ✭3✭

This week I worked all my days in a row which I don’t normally do (I’m a nurse). We also have rounds at 3 am and my manager brings candy. Sugar is my weakness and at 3 am was hard to say no! But I was accountable and logged it. Today was my first day off and I was back at class this morning. And I’m off until Tuesday so no 3 am candy temptations

• Heidi MorrisHeidi Morris Member Rank ✭7✭

@Kim Goodfellow @Brianne Hyde I am not sure quite when it happened, but I started saying to people "I am not tempted by sweets," and over time, it became true. Not that I don't ever eat sweets at all, but rehearsing that mantra when given the choice to have candy REALLY changed me. I then I even follow it up with what I would choose instead, like chips or popcorn. Sure, eating chips over candy may not actually be better, but often candy is not always accompanied next to chips :)

• Angela JohnsonAngela Johnson Member Rank ✭6✭

End of week one is winding down well for me. My goal was to reduce the amount of times that I went to Panera + The Roadhouse. Ended up going to the The Roadhouse once, and didn't go to Panera at all. Picked up some groceries, and as always, totally notice that I have better focus when I'm mindful of nutrient timing and consuming food for fuel versus any other reason. Happy almost Sunday to all <3

• Terry LobbTerry Lobb Member, Inward Journey Meditation Group Member Rank ✭5✭

I’ve been tracking my food with my picture app which has been going well and have been focusing on my fitness goal of two yoga classes a week and 1 FS class. The next 2 weeks I want to make a new goal within my goal to increase to 2 FS classes a week to keep trying to build up my strength for my surgery 12/12. The fact that I made it back and am finally able to handle my prescribed FS class is a huge step and lots of fun. It’s good to know how hard work pays off and that I can do it. I need to stay positive so that after my recovery once again I will end up back on my yoga mat and kill it in my FS class. May need SS again which I’ve missed but I know I’ll make it back to FS!!!! I’ve got this especially with the support of everyone!!! Best gym ever!!!

@Terry Lobb great to hear you've been doing well with your goals so far, and will be kicking things up a notch in the coming weeks. Good stuff! =)

• Alyssa RomigAlyssa Romig Member, AFS Staff Rank ✭5✭

My goal is to be more consistent in my wake/bedtimes. I've been doing really well with wake times, but struggling with bedtimes. Often, I'll wind down at the end of the day and (literally) sit down for the first time and realize that it's time for bed. I know this is only one thing, but I tend to tell myself that I "deserve" to just chill for a little bit longer because I'm so go-go-go. The reality is that I'm just procrastinating going to bed and doing my bedtime routine--- and really for no reason! Next time, I'm just going to count to 5 and do it.

Alternatively, I could also limit the amount of things in my calendar so that I do have that time to just "chill." 😄

• Rose StachowskiRose Stachowski Member Rank ✭4✭

First week done. I stayed with my goals 3 FS classes a week, and no mindless eating. I tend to graze at night, changing up my day has helped. Years ago when I quit smoking someone told I was rewarding myself with a cigarette. Like after I cleaned the living room I would smoke, after I did dishes I would smoke, etc. So I need to change the way I did things. I applied that to the mindless grazing, and so far it is working.

Nice to hear about your successes @Rose Smith and @Alyssa Romig . Rose, that's an interesting insight on using food as a reward. Cool that you've been able to use that successfully.

My goal was to get at least 3 workouts in each week (I normally do 4, but know that some weeks may be tough during the holidays so I set my goal at 3). This week I was able to get all of my regular 4 in.

This week is where the rubber hits the road though with Thanksgiving!

• Kim GoodfellowKim Goodfellow Member, Foundations Course Member Rank ✭5✭

@Heidi Morris THANK you for the suggestion.. I am willing to try anything to make this happen... 😀