Intuitive Eating Much?

Kemper SosaKemper Sosa Member, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Rachel Egelhof, thanks for sharing such a powerful message with me. I felt is was appropriate to post an excerpt below for the community. @Bella Diaz and @Mary Balog, do either of you have any advice on how to take initial action with this behavior?

Kemper Sosa

Agent of Change & General Manager

BS, CPT, CSCS, ACSM Exercise Physiologist

Comments

• Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

I have become increasingly interested in intuitive eating in the last few years. A lot of the sentiments in the philosophy really resonate with me. Looking forward to hearing Bella/Mary's insight as I know they have more experience with the implementation than I. I know the idea of unconditional permission to eat sounds scary and counter-intuitive for a lot of people, especially those trying to eat healthier.. but the idea of giving yourself permission actually reducing the drive to eat certain foods makes a lot of sense. Looking forward to keeping an eye on this thread!

Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator
  • Tricia NaultTricia Nault Member, AFS Staff Rank ✭7✭

I am one of those for whom the unconditional permission to eat sounds like the scariest thing ever. Permission to eat anything always sounded to me like a recipe for disaster, falling off the wagon, so to speak. But I am working on recognizing when I actually am hungry, and when I'm not. My body actually feels better when I feed it healthy foods, and since I like that feeling, I have not been as anxious to eat the other stuff anyway. And I'm ok with that. I'm ok indulging a little once in a while, and I'm trying not to feel guilty for it. Guilt and food should not go together!