Favorite AFS Memory?

Chris EarlyChris Early Member, Practitioner, AFS Staff, Foundations Course Member admin
edited January 2020 in AFS Family Corner

Hey Everyone,

I was sitting here having my morning coffee after being sick for a while and was just reflecting on memories at AFS and all the gratitude I have for this special place. I was thinking back on all these great memories and one in particular stood out to me and I had to share it with everyone.

This moment for me was when @Spencer Rice asked @Kemper Sosa and the rest of the AFS team to help create a flashmob at the Ann Arbor facility for his wife Sheila(who at the time was battling cancer). We all came together, AFS clients who knew Sheila and clients that didn't, friends, family. It was a great moment, but the best part was that Spencer had a secret that after the flash mob he had an impromptu wedding vow renewal. This was such a special moment to be part of and to witness.

I am forever grateful to have known Shelia, and to have been part of this amazing moment.

Please post what your favorite AFS moment/ memory and lets share the love

Tagged:

Comments

• Kemper SosaKemper Sosa Member, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

So many to choose from it's difficult to pin just one.

One of my favorite AFS memories has to be our fundraiser Pop-Up workout for Dan Smith. Such a cool thing to see our community come together to help raise money for Dan's seemingly never-ending medical bills...I think we had a turnout of 70-80 people. It was my reminder that AFS is truly MORE-THAN in so many ways.

Kemper Sosa

Agent of Change & General Manager

BS, CPT, CSCS, ACSM Exercise Physiologist

• Kristina BakKristina Bak Member Rank ✭3✭

This is a hard one, so many great people and memories. The one that immediately comes to mind is not a happy memory but one that speaks volumes about the relationships formed at AFS and really touched my heart. My dad had passed away very early in the morning, my girls and I decided to still come for class, I think we were trying to pretend that everything was okay. Chris Early said good morning and asked how we were, a very usual greeting. In that moment, none of us had a reply, I remember thinking if I say one word that will be it, I knew I would have a complete meltdown on the spot. Chris knew my dad had been sick and without a word from us he knew my dad was gone; his response was immediate empathy, he knew exactly what we needed, he got us through that class and for that hour everything was okay. 

• Sawyer Paull-BairdSawyer Paull-Baird Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin
    edited February 2020

The one that continues to stick out for me over the years was the first time we got our holiday appreciation books, perhaps 4-5 years ago (?).

At the time I had only been about 2 years into my career and time at AFS, and while I had a feeling that what I was doing was important and making a difference in people's lives, I don't think I quite understood the magnitude of the impact we were making.

When we first got those books, packed full of notes about how our efforts had changed peoples' lives for the better, the impact was made so clear, and it hit pretty hard. I wasn't the only one either holding back tears or openly crying in that meeting. It was at that moment that I think I first really actually fully understood, as a young 24-25 year old still getting acclimated to the workplace, the impact we could make in the lives of our clients, beyond just physical fitness.

Since that day there have been many many memories that reinforce that same point, but that one still sits with me strongly since it was somewhat of a turning point or point of realization for me.

Sawyer Paull-Baird BS CSCS ACSM-EP PN-Lvl1
    Agent of Change / Fitness Innovation & Education Coordinator
  • Jared FreemanJared Freeman Member, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Oh wow. So many...

I will go with my top three:

1) Dan Smith pop-up to raise money for his cancer battle. Visiting AFS AA is always a blessing in itself, but to do it and help out one of our closest friends was something I will never forget. So many tears that day.

2) AFS RH surprising Fran at the Run Drugs out of Town 5k was also unbelievably powerful. Fran (lost her son to an overdose) and her sister Georgina are two of AFS RHs biggest supporters and we were able to give back a little of the joy that they have brought us over the years.

3) The ten year AFS reunion was unreal. AFS was founded by Mike Stack but it was built by so many loyal clients. Without our amazing core of AA clients there would be no Plymouth or Rochester. I am forever grateful to all you <3!!

@Mike Stack I pass the baton to you! After you share pass it to someone else!

Jared Freeman BS CPT CSCS

Agent of Change / Managing Partner 

• Robert SarnaRobert Sarna Member Rank ✭5✭
    edited February 2020

I have a few favorite memories-

First weight loss class with Matt Kempfer as my instructor.

The 12 days of fitmas

Doing weight loss class with @Chris Eskin dressed as Santa

The support AFS Plymouth provided when my mom passed away recently.

And most recently, doing fitness solutions class in December with the entire AFS Plymouth staff (btw, when is that going to happen again ?💪?💪)

• Yana  KrivozusYana Krivozus Member Rank ✭2✭

My favorite AFS memory is working out the morning of my wedding. I didn’t plan on coming but I woke up early and decided to sweat the nerves out. After the workout we took group pictures while wearing my bachelorette party veil.

Another fave was having coffee with @Maya Sanches and Theresa after the 6am classes. Also feeling the baby move while working out was pretty special.