WHERE HAVE ALL THE FSx GONE??? (Ann Arbor only)

Nicole PorterNicole Porter Member Rank ✭6✭
edited January 2020 in AFS Family Corner

But like, seriously. We're down to three. FSx is like my favorite thing at AFS. Can we have some dialog about bringing some additional times back, may do a poll of current and past regulars about when they'd like to see them?

Comments

• Beth ManoogianBeth Manoogian Member Rank ✭7✭

Agree - I love FSX and have seen huge improvements in strength since I stArted taking it a year ago! Please keep it alive!

• Mike StackMike Stack Member, Administrator, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Kemper Sosa would be able to answer this more specifically in terms of the Ann Arbor schedule.

Ladies, one thing I can tell you more globally (and being fully transparent) is that this class has limited appeal with our broader population, which is the reason for the limited class numbers. When you combine that with it's low profitability (price point per class X number of people per class) it makes it difficult to allocated our limited number of staff resources to it. I certainly wish this program caught on more (it was my brainchild at one point). That being said, the marketplace competition from places like Orange Theory and Red Effect are really eating up marketshare for this class. So the truth of the matter is demand for the class and profit margin are both low, so part of this is the difficult business decision to be judicious with how many classes we offer. I wish I had a better answer for you, but I do want to be fully transparent in helping you understand why we've opted to take this approach with FSx.

Michael E. Stack, BS CFP CSCS*D CPS
    AGENT OF CHANGE, CEO, & Exercise Physiologist

• Kemper SosaKemper Sosa Member, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

@Nicole Porter & @Beth Manoogian , Mike's explanation below says it all. As much as I love this class and believe in it's ability to make significant change in one's fitness, it's simply not as viable as our other offerings. To ease your minds, I don't see our current Fax classes going anywhere right now. You can keep looking forward to those 15-20rep pull-ups and 6 minute erg's!

Kemper Sosa

Agent of Change & General Manager

BS, CPT, CSCS, ACSM Exercise Physiologist

• Nicole PorterNicole Porter Member Rank ✭6✭

So I guess the question is, what do we have to do to get more of them on the schedule again? Right now we have three to choose from, and if they are full or you have a conflict, you're SOL, which is really disappointing. We've even gone so far as to start a group chat about when we will be missing a class so others know and can take over our spots quickly if they're watching for opening. When I started here five years ago, it was the ultimate goal was to get into an FSx class - it meant you'd hit the top of the range on WLS, and had approved form in GRSt. As someone who always wants to know what the next step is that I can ascend, it's just frustrating to see fade away (even though I full understand bottom line and participation issues).

• Chrissy EvanchekChrissy Evanchek Member Rank ✭3✭

I have also been very frustrated with the change in the FSx schedule. FSx is my favorite class at AFS and it's disappointing to sit on waitlists.

I agree with @Nicole Porter, what can we do to get this class going again? It use to be something that people worked towards.

I agree with @Nicole Porter and @Chrissy Evanchek - when I started coming to AFS, FSX seemed like an unattainable goal and it was like a rite of passage when I was finally allowed to start taking it. I don’t even do FS anymore because I enjoy FSX more (except ergs 😂). It seems like if each practitioner identified 1-5 experienced clients who regularly do both SS and FS and had them try FSX (first class is free!), you might get enough interest to open a few more classes. I’ve gotten stronger from FSX than I have doing SS 2x/week+FS in the past, and even achieved my years-long goal of making it up onto the board in the SS room thanks to that extra training. And I’m pretty sure @Nicole Porter and @Chrissy Evanchek and I could teach this class by now so you don’t need to expend more staff resources.... 😜

• Nicole PorterNicole Porter Member Rank ✭6✭

I think you have a team of "influencers" here who are willing to help (partially for selfish reasons, but I'm okay with that motivation!). I'm not sure I could instruct as @Beth Manoogian suggested 🤔😊 but I'm certainly willing to be a face for the program to drum up more participants! #sororityrecruitingneverends

• Kemper SosaKemper Sosa Member, Moderator, Practitioner, AFS Staff admin

Let me first say that I love the passion you all are bringing to this thread. FSx is one of my favorite training modality combo's as well! I am all for the "influencer" approach with fellow community members to see if we can achieve more engagement. We can expand on this idea when I see you all Tuesday/Thursday and/or Saturday!

Kemper Sosa

Agent of Change & General Manager

BS, CPT, CSCS, ACSM Exercise Physiologist

• Shaina TinseyShaina Tinsey Member Rank ✭5✭

I just decided to step outside my comfort zone and add in FSx. I am excited about the challenge (my trial session was tough + great) but to be honest, looking at the numbers, I have been kind of worried I'll be "bumping" someone from their spot. Reading this thread hasn't help 😧 I hope I can rotate in without too much disturbance to the regular attendees, but agree, seeing another spot or two on the calendar for it would be great.

• Chris FirlikChris Firlik Member Rank ✭4✭

This is how I view FSx too! I have been trying to work toward trying this class out. I think right now my sport is too hard on my body to make this feasible. I'm also often under-recovered because my schedule is too tightly packed, and I don't think that's a good setup for success. But I hope one day!

@Shaina Tinsey It was great working out with you in your first class and you did awesome! Sat at 9:30am is usually not completely full so join us then! 😝

• Shaina TinseyShaina Tinsey Member Rank ✭5✭

That's generally the one that would work best for me anyway. Happy to sleep in a little at hit the 9:30 one 😉

• Angela JohnsonAngela Johnson Member Rank ✭6✭

Great that you started this discussion @Nicole Porter. Hope to see action come out of this discussion. Personally know 2 clients that departed from AFS due primarily to the lack of FSX classes/their offered times.